Lisa beat me to a post about Canada Day dessert, so I thought I would write about the Canada Day salad that I had to make. I was at two potlucks today, one requiring dessert and another salad.
I am not one to wing things, just too analytical for that. If it doesn’t come with a spreadsheet, I may not know how to proceed. So here I was a making a salad, and the recipe was lost somewhere in my “cluttered” house.
My sister in law served me a similar salad, and I loved it, the best part was the Goat cheese covered in toasted Peptitas. Any occasion to say that word is worth trying the recipe, and once again, doesn’t everything tastes better with Goat Cheese on it? On a side note, is goat cheese the new sun-dried tomato? The original dressing included cranberry juice, since I didn’t have any in the house, or the recipe, I decided to use my Spinach Salad with Strawberries dressing. So I winged this salad…
Billy Goat Greens Salad
- 1/2 c toasted peptitas (aka pumpkin seeds), toasted for approximately 5min in a 350F oven
- 1/2 cup or more goat cheese. I made little balls out of them ,and then rolled them in the goat cheese. The balls were smaller than golf balls, not sure what to compare them to, ping pong balls?
- 1 head of lettuce, or any salad greens
- 1/4c or more dried cranberries
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- Mix the salad ingredient
- Mix the dressing ingredients
- Toss salad with dressing
- Top with Goat Cheese Balls
I didn’t get to sample this salad, hope the guests liked!!! I’ll have to check in with the host to find out. But the next time I make it, I am thinking of adding some nuts, either pecans or walnuts. And of course sticking around long enough to taste it and really comment on how it turned out.